Although the Fifty Shades of Grey casting war continues and may go on ad infinitum, the fans have reportedly already decided who they want to see in the lead roles of Christian Grey and Anastasia Steele.
According to a new poll conducted by, of all people, Katie Couric, the new male frontrunner is Ian Somerhalder. The Vampire Diaries heart-throb, who has already been featured in several fan-made 50 Shades of Grey trailers, beat out some stiff competition, including Zac Efron, Matt Bomer, Alexander Skarsgaard, and even The Hunger Games hunk Liam Hemsworth.
The new favorite for the coveted role of Grey's virginal young masochist-in-training is Alexis Bledel who has also appeared in a number of unofficial trailers for E.L. James' eagerly awaited "mommie porn" film. Bledel also triumphed over some formidable rivals in the poll, including such talented young beauties as Mila Kunis, Lucy Hale, Amanda Seyfried, and the utterly unsuitably blonde Kirsten Dunst. Kristen Stewart was left face down at the starting gate as well, but the former Twilight heroine is, no doubt, too preoccupied with her own problems to care. An even more surprising famous name on the reject list was Emma Watson. Although the Harry Potter star had been labeled the frontrunner on various polls and fan sites, her rejection may have resulted in part from her reported desire to play Anastasia only to Ryan Gosling's Christian. Gosling has of course, already withdrawn from the race. Oops. Finally, much to Ian Somerhalder's chagrin, another actress deemed unworthy in the Couric poll was his lady-love and Vampire Diaries co-star, Nina Dobrev. Oh well, not even Ian Somerhalder can have everything.
So there you have it. The people have spoken. But are they right?
Hollywood Life conducted its own poll, and the results were essentially the same. A decent 63.32 percent majority of the voters confirmed that Somerhalder and Bledel were the best choices for Fifty Shades of Grey's Christian and Ana. The other 36.68 percent obviously wanted someone else but didn't specify whom. No one was undecided.
Do you agree with the Couric poll's choice? if not, who would you prefer to see play Christian and Ana?
photo source: Bing Images
Â© Hope Carson 2012
Hope Carson is the author of 2 books: A Roaring Girl: An Interview with the Thinking Man's Hooker and A Thousand and One Night Stands: The Life of Jon Vincent. You can follow her on Twitter.